Sunday, October 23, 2005

What is Minorca and where did those people end up at?
If I'm going to try to spread some information about Minorca (Menorca), and Florida's Minorcans,I think I should explain a bit about where they came from and when they got to north Florida. Basically, Minorcans were poor residents of the Balaeric Islands off the Mediterranean coast of Spain. In the late 1700's, they were conscripted as indentured servants by a British Imperialist, Andrew Turnbull,to leave Minorca for a new Florida colony, New Smyrna. The colony was named after the homeland of his beautiful Greek wife and was to be an agricultural venture. Turnbull reasoned that the warm, humid climate of northeast Florida, would require workers used to similar conditions and the hardy Minorcans of the Mediterranean seemed to fit the bill. Turnbull set out the terms, labor for a number of years, then freedom and land to begin anew in the world of opportunity of the 1700's,North America. I often wonder how excited they must have been, as the day of departure arrived. What did the children think when the masts of the ships appeared on the horizon? The ships that would take them and their families to the new world. The world of opportunity,adventure...and slavery.

The view from the crack shack.
Just a little about the place where I live. As PureFlorida says, his brother seems to be time-warped back in 1950. It's true, because that was the last of the best of St.Augustine and Florida. However, my time is limited because the wicked eye of develpment has begun to gaze in my direction. Still, I live in a home built in the 1950's. It's what Minorcans refer to as a "shotgun house". It's frame, with the front door and the back door in line east to west. So, a shotgun blast could in the backdoor and out the front without damaaging anything but screens. The view around my home is very much a museum of the lifestyle of the Minorcan fisherman of the 1950's, down to the datil peppers on the fenceline, the cluck family and the nets and 'nanner trees. If I can remember how I put photos the last time, I give you a visual tour. Happy Hurricane Season!
The MinorcanMadman

4 Comments:

Blogger thingfish23 said...

I'm lovin' it.

Your brother (FC) kept you hidden for too long!

Keep 'em coming.

There were shotgun houses in New Orleans and Atlanta, as I recall. I lived in both places, but Florida is "home".

Yep - I'm a Native (second gen, though).

5:52 PM  
Blogger Minorcan Madman said...

thingfish23,
I tried to reply to you the other evening, but I'm not sure it worked. Thanks for visiting,and I will keep something coming. And yes, their is a connection. Loved your blog. I'll be back to it!
the MinorcanMadman

7:53 PM  
Anonymous pnkart said...

Seeking out my heritage and found you. This is great!I need lots of info for school project. I will be back. Great, great granddaughter of native Minorcan.

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NSU - 4efer, 5210 - rulez

11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home